Friday, May 4, 2012

Create your own Graphic Organizers using PowerPoint




About two years ago I was pulled into the Vice Principal’s office and asked to teach a class of all English Language Learners for US History. Since then I have had one of my five classes dedicated to English Language Learner students. I am required to teach students the CA State Standards for US History while at the same time, help them learn English. My ELLs are very ethnically diverse and there English levels range from 1 to 5. At one point I had eight different native languages represented in one class. To provide extra support for these students I began to utilize graphic organizers significantly more, almost every day. I now use these graphic organizers for all my classes not just for my ELLs. I have found that students grasp concepts much more with the assistance of the graphic organizers. Below are a few examples of graphic organizers I have made.










So how can you make your own graphic organizers? You can make them in Microsoft Word but then you have to deal with formatting pictures and shapes which can become a hassle. I create graphic organizers using Microsoft PowerPoint. Most teachers are familiar with PowerPoint but naturally only think about using it for presentations. Creating personalized graphic organizers with PowerPoint is so easy. Pick a few shapes, add a few lines, and texts and poof instant graphic organizer. With Microsoft Office 2007 and up it offers a Smart Art feature which has graphic organizers to pick from, making it even easier for you. Once you have it the way you like it print it out and make copies for your class. Also since you made it using PowerPoint you can project the graphic organizer on the white board and call on students to fill it in using a dry erase marker. This is defiantly one of my must have tech resources.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for teaching me about this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creating graphic organizers with powerpoint is ok as long as the graphic is structures. For complex and creative ones you will have to use several tools. "Creately" is an online diagramming and collaboration software which supports all graphic organizer charts. Creately studied the importance of these graphic organizers, and designed a number of easy to use graphic organizer templates. They are free to be used and try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool Office PowerPoint themes are important because they can help you build your brand.

    ReplyDelete